One-pot Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp (320 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (96 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups (480 ml) original unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1¼ cups (307 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup (120 ml) melted coconut butter
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (360 g) date paste
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp unrefined salt
Preheat the oven to 350 °F (175 ºC) and line two 8″ round cake pans or one large rectangular pan with parchment paper. Mix the almond milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl and keep aside for a few minutes to activate. Add the coconut butter, vanilla extract and applesauce and beat until foamy. Mix in the date paste.
Take the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a sifter and slowly sift over the wet ingredients while mixing with a hand-held or stand mixer. If you don’t have a sifter, simply mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet mixture while beating. Beat until no large lumps remain. It should be creamy and pourable. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed, adding more date paste if desired.
Divide the batter evenly between the 2 cake pans or rectangular pan. Bake them at 175 ºC for 30-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before serving.