Carrot, Peanut, Raisin Salad
- 500 g unpeeled juicy carrots, grated
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup roasted and coarsely chopped unpeeled peanuts
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp roasted unpolished sesame seeds
For the Dressing
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp date paste
- 1 tsp whole cumin (jeera) seeds, roasted and coarsely crushed
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- ½ tsp black pepper (kali mirch) powder
Soak the raisins in just enough water until they become plump. If in a hurry, soak for a few minutes in just enough warm water. Take carrots, raisins, peanuts, coriander leaves and sesame seeds in a bowl.
For the dressing, mix together lemon juice, garlic, date paste, cumin seeds, salt and black pepper powder in a small bowl and add to the carrot mixture. Toss well. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Julienne the carrots (cut into matchsticks like in Chinese cooking), steam lightly and chill them before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.
You could substitute carrots with beetroot.