Indian Carrot Salad
- 5 unpeeled carrots, washed and grated
- ½ tsp mustard (rai) seeds
- ⅛ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 8-10 curry leaves
- ½ a green chilli, slit lengthwise and deseeded
- ½ tsp unrefined salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, for the garnish
- 3 tbsp grated coconut (optional)
- 1 tsp date paste (optional)
Heat a pan on medium-high heat. When hot, add mustard seeds. When they start to sputter, reduce the heat to minimum and add the asafoetida, curry leaves and chilli. Turn off the heat within seconds. Add carrots, salt, lemon juice, coriander leaves, coconut and date paste (optional). Mix well and serve.
You may replace the carrots with grated cabbage and tomatoes.