Photo by Mona Irfan
1. In a heated pan, dry sauté the spring onion, garlic, fennel seeds, peppercorns for 3 minutes.
2. Add thawed peas, salt and sauté for one more minute. Transfer to a bowl and allow it to cool.
3. Place the peas mixture along with nutritional yeast and lime juice in a blender and blend until you have a coarse paste.
4. Add water if needed to help with blending. Your spread is ready.
5. Spread on whole grain toast, crepes, dosas.
Vegetables can be made into great spreads. For added thickness, tofu can be mixed in, or soaked cashews can be added at the time of blending.
Pomegranate is used here only for decoration; we do not recommend mixing fruits with vegetables.