- 250 g extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds (khuskhus), soaked in water for 1 hour
- 2 tbsp watermelon seeds (magaz), soaked in water for 1 hour
- 1 medium-sized onion, grated
- 1 cup vegan curd, beaten
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- 1 tsp cashew butter, mixed with water to a creamy consistency (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves, for the garnish
Drain water and grind soaked khuskhus and watermelon seeds to a fine paste. In a hot pan, cook the grated onion until translucent. Add poppy and watermelon seed paste and cook for 2 minutes.
Gradually add the curd and mix well. Bring to a boil. Add garam masala powder, red chilli powder, salt, diluted cashew butter (if using) and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tofu and 1 cup water and let it cook until the tofu softens and the gravy thickens. Garnish with coriander leaves before serving.
Serves 4 – 6