Tofu “Paneer” Bhurji
Serve this Indian-style tofu scramble with rice and Indian breads or place in your favorite whole-grain wrap or tortilla.
- 350 – 400 g firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 1 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1-4 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½” pc fresh ginger, finely minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- Unrefined salt to taste
- 3 tbsp cashew paste (optional)
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), for the garnish (optional)
Place a large pan on medium heat and add cumin seeds. When they crackle, add onion, garlic, green chillies and ginger. When this begins to brown, add tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt. When the tomatoes begin to break down, add the crumbled tofu and cashew paste (if using) and stir well. Garnish with coriander if using.
Instead of mincing and finely chopping the onion, garlic, chillies and ginger, you can put them all in a food processor and make a coarse paste. This can bring down the preparation time and the taste will be equally good.