Serve this Indian-style tofu scramble with rice and Indian breads or place in your favorite whole-grain wrap or tortilla.
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-4 green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1 14-16 ounce firm or extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- 3 tbsp cashews paste (optional)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro for garnish (optional)
Place large pan on medium heat and add cumin seeds. When they sputter, add onion, garlic, green chilies and ginger. When this begins to brown, add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. When tomatoes begin to break down then add tofu and cashew paste, if using and stir well. Garnish with cilantro if using.
Tip: Instead of mincing and finely chopping the onion, garlic, chilies and ginger, you can put them all in the food processor and make it into a paste. This can cut down the preparation time and the taste will be equally good.