Shepherd’s Pie With Raw Cashew Cheese
- ½ cup soya nuggets or soya mince
- 4 medium sized unpeeled potatoes, diced
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- ½ tsp black pepper (kali mirch) powder
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- 1 medium-sized unpeeled carrot, grated
- 1 small celery stalk with leaves, finely chopped
- 7 medium sized tomatoes, crushed
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp each of thyme and rosemary
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ½ red bell pepper (red capsicum), finely chopped
Soak the soya nuggets or mince for 20–30 minutes. Squeeze out all the water from them. Wash and squeeze again. If using nuggets, mince them in a food processor to obtain small flakes. If you are using soya mince, all you need to do is soak, wash and squeeze out the water.
Steam the potatoes until tender. Mash them and add soya milk. Season with salt and pepper to obtain the consistency of mashed potatoes.
In a medium sized pan, roast the onion until translucent, then add the carrot and celery and cook for 10 minutes, stirring at regular intervals, until they are tender.
Add crushed tomatoes, ground soya nuggets, soy sauce and black pepper powder and cook for about 10 minutes. Taste the mixture to see if the salt is right, or adjust by adding some more soy sauce or salt. Add thyme and rosemary and cook a bit longer. Transfer this mixture to a 6” square baking tray and press to a height of about 1″. Top with a layer of similar height of potatoes. Top with a layer of sour cream cheese.
Bake in a preheated oven at 180 °C for 15-20 minutes, or until the sour cream turns brown. Sprinkle the red capsicum over it as a garnish, or you can sprinkle the capsicum over it after 10 minutes of baking and allow the capsicum to bake a bit too. Cut into squares and serve.