Mash the potatoes using a hand-held electric mixer or a potato masher, blending with a little warmed soy milk until smooth. Do not use a food processor to mash potatoes – the potatoes turn into a starchy paste within seconds. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast a whole head of garlic in the oven without peeling. Squeeze out a few cloves into the mashed potatoes. The rest can be used in other dishes.
- For colorful mashed potatoes, add cooked vegetables while mashing. Try carrots, peas, sweet potatoes, cooked chopped spinach, or celery.
- For herbed mashed potatoes, add your favourite fresh chopped herbs after the potatoes are mashed. Try parsley, dill, chives, coriander or basil.
- For green onion mashed potatoes, add one cup of chopped green onions to soy milk while heating, then add to potatoes while mashing.
- For spicier potatoes, add one to two tablespoons of spicy brown mustard while mashing.