- 8 tbsp yellow moong dal (split and hulled green gram)
- A handful of spinach, chopped
- ½ a snake gourd, chopped
- ¼ an ash gourd, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- Unrefined salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- 2 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 1 tsp cumin (jeera) seeds
- 1 tbsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tsp sesame (til) seeds
- 4 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp mustard (rai) seeds
- ⅛ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- A few curry leaves
Dry roast the ingredients to grind, except for the coconut. Allow to cool and transfer to a blender jar. Add coconut, grind to a paste with a little water (as required) and keep aside.
Pressure cook the lentils, or cook them in an open pan. Steam the vegetables.
In another pan, sauté the ground mixture, without oil, but adding a little water (a tablespoon) from time to time if required, to prevent sticking and keep sautéing until fragrant. Add the steamed vegetables and salt. Add the cooked dal. Simmer for 3 minutes.
Temper with mustard seeds, asafoetida, red chilli, split black gram and curry leaves.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.