Italian Style Tofu Steaks
- 400g of tofu cut into four slabs
- 2 tbsp of tamari or soy sauce
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/2 bunch of fresh basil, chopped, leaving aside 8 leaves whole
- 1 tbsp of fresh, chopped oregano
- 4 tbsp of vegan boursin cheese
- 4 pieces of crusty whole wheat garlic bread (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
Dry ‘fry’ the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to stir well for one minute. Then add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and herbs (not including the 8 whole leaves of basil). Allow this to simmer on low heat and covered with a lid.
Now in fry pan heat the tamari with twice the quantity of water and add the tofu. Cook each side for four minutes at high heat. If the pan becomes dry then add more water.
To serve pour the tomato sauce equally over the tofu steaks and lay two of the whole basil leaves on top. Carefully put one tablespoon of the cheese on top of the basil and serve with crusty garlic bread on the side.
For the garlic bread take four pieces of good quality crusty style bread such as baguette and toast. Now rub over the four pieces with a clove of garlic and serve.