- 1/2 cup finely grated beetroot (with the peel)
- 2 inch piece of coconut or 10 cashews or walnuts soaked for 8 hours
- 1/2 cup deseeded black dates – squished by hand or ground into paste
- 1/4 tsp elaichi powder (cardamom)
- slivered almonds for garnish
Steam the grated beetroot with elaichi powder. Just 5 minutes of steaming is sufficient. If using cashews or walnuts, blend with with 2 tsp water to make a thick cream. If using coconut, grind it into a paste with 2 tsp water. Mix all ingredients very well and chill before serving. Garnish with slivered almonds.