- 1 onion, ¼ inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tbsp dried thyme
- ½ medium carrot, finely grated
- 2 red capsicums, chopped fine
- ½ kg steamed, whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- capers, olives and red chillies to taste
Heat a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft. Add the chopped red capsicum and cook till soft and fragrant. Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until as thick as hot cereal. Season with salt, capers, olives, and red chillies and serve with choice of pasta. This sauce holds 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.