Yam “Fish” Curry
- ½ kg yam (suran), peeled, cut into thin squares and steamed
- 1 tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- 4 pieces kokum
For the Masala
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 cup sliced onions
- 2 tbsp minced unpeeled ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 to 5 Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp mustard (rai) seeds
Roast all the masala ingredients together until golden. Blend the roasted masala coconut mixture together to a fine paste, with a little water.
Heat a pan, add half a cup of water, add steamed yam, turmeric powder, salt, masala paste and kokum and mix well. Add 1½ cups water and let the mixture come to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off. Add curry leaves as garnish and serve.
Serves 2- 4