SHARAN Newsletter - Issue #16 - November 2012
IN THIS ISSUE:
• Special Feature: The SHARAN Dream
• How you can join us • Fact or Fiction? • Recipe • News from SHARAN •
A Letter from SHARAN's Founder: Sharing the SHARAN Dream
I want to share with you the SHARAN dream - its a dream of a diabetes-free India which will manifest with your help. Today India has the largest number of diabetics in the world. We would like all of them to know that this disease is reversible. SHARAN is spreading this vital message through various events – our corporate talks, one-day seminars, specifically the Reversing Diabetes Seminar, our cooking classes, our training programs, and our 21-day residential Disease Reversal Program.
We are now looking for our own place – a piece of land where we will have residential cottages and rooms where people can come and stay with us and watch their health return. Where they can actually re-connect with life through nature, organic farms, living foods, other like-minded people and of course to the farm animals. Once the connection is made, it’s hard to look back. It’s this connection which makes us passionate to spread this message. It’s this connection too, which will empower YOU to reach your highest health potential and to spread the message to others. It is through each one of YOU that we will reach our goal of a diabetes-free India!
Dr Nandita Shah
How you can join us in our dream
1. Attend one of our programs and follow through. Reach your highest health potential and become an inspiration to others.
2. Once you have achieved the results, commit to helping at least 5 people gain health with the knowledge that you have acquired.
3. Organise our introductory talks for large groups. Dr Nandita Shah's schedule has been planned for a year and she is open to doing free introductory talks for corporates and other groups during her travels.
4. We are interested in spreading the message through the media, articles in newspapers and magazines, TV shows or any other way that you can help us with.
5. We are looking for venues in every city that can regularly host our programs. If you know of a good venue, let us know.
6. In time we will inform you about training programs to help you spread the message yourself to your own circles or to allow you to join SHARAN to help us reach the goal.
7. Any other ideas that you may have on how you can help spread the message.
Contact us at [email protected]
Fact or Fiction?
Meat production is the biggest contributor to global warming.
Did you know that the amount of greenhouse gases released in the atmosphere to produce half a pound (227g) of hamburger is equivalent to driving a 3000 pound (1.3 ton) car for almost 10 miles (16km)?
Meat production contributes between 14 and 22 per cent of the 36 billion tons of greenhouse gases produced in the world each year. (Source)
Ingredients for the salad:
2 large potatoes, boiled, peeled and diced
3 - 5 spring onions finely chopped or ½ onion finely chopped
1 stalk of celery finely chopped
¼ cup capsicum finely chopped
5 - 6 tbsp raw mayonnaise (see below)
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
½ tsp mustard
Instructions: Mix all the above ingredients together. Add a little salt and lemon if needed. Serve.
Ingredients for the raw mayonnaise:
1/2 cup soaked cashews
2 tbsp onion chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
Mustard to taste
1 small clove garlic
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Water (about /1/4 cup)
Blend the dressing ingredients except the water. Add water a little at a time to make a smooth paste like a mayonnaise.
News from SHARAN
In the past 4 months, SHARAN’s popular Peas vs Pills workshop went to Bangalore (14 July), Hyderabad (15 August), Delhi (23 August) and Mumbai (14 October). Participants learned how to take charge of their health and make dietary changes which transform the quality of their health and life. Reversing Diabetes is another one of our most popular workshops. We had many people come to this workshop in Delhi (24 August) and Mumbai (7 October) to learn how this lifestyle disease can be reversed by following a whole food plant-based diet. On 28 July, Reversing Heart Disease and Hypertension went to Bangalore.
In September a special week-long event was held in Auroville with Dr Nandita Shah, Nandini Gulati and Nithya Shanti. The aim of the Nourish Retreat was to create an experience that re-connected people to nature and the innate wisdom of their body and true self. Read the report here
In our endeavour to reach our goal of a diabetes-free India, seminars have been planned in Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore until September 2013. You can see the planned dates for these here.
21-Day Disease Reversal Retreat
1. A Healthy Tiffin service is now available in Magarpatta City, Pune - contact Back to Basics Tel. 9423033569.
2. The Farmers market in Mumbai is now held in 2 areas simultanously (Jai Hind College and Maharashtra Nature Park) on Sundays 11 am – 5 pm. Check www.farmersmarket.co.in
3. Mumbai has Healthy Cooking Workshops – Contact: [email protected], Tel. 9820446499.
4. Imported, good quality home-use soy and nutmilk making machine available in India for Rs 5900 soon. For more information call 09376922002.
Join a vegan potluck in your area
Would you like to meet vegans living in your area and share tips and recipes? Or are you considering a lifestyle change and would like to learn more about veganism? Vegan potlucks are held in cities across India and are open to everyone: vegans, aspiring vegans, vegetarians or anyone interested in learning more about veganism. To find out about a vegan potluck in your area, get in touch with the vegan group in the following cities: Bangalore / Mumbai / Delhi / Chennai / Ahmedabad / Hyderabad / Pune
Season's Greetings to all for the festive season from the SHARAN Team!
The SHARAN photo album features pictures of all our past events. Those who have attended our events may enjoy seeing pictures of themselves and the group. (Click on the image to get an enlarged version.)
Did you miss past issues of this newsletter? Have a look at the SHARAN newsletter archives.
The Reversing Diabetes Facebook Group is for people who would like to learn about and exchange information on how a healthy plant-based whole foods diet can help reverse diabetes. Members share tips and their own experiences of how they have been able to control and reverse diabetes through the food they eat. Click here to join the group.
Join SHARAN India on Facebook to find out about upcoming events, join in discussions and share experiences, and meet other like-minded people!
SHARAN India is now on Twitter. Click here to follow us!
What is SHARAN?
We are a non-profit organization with the goals of spreading holistic health awareness, and an ecologically sustainable compassionate lifestyle. We believe that all life on the planet is interconnected. By reconnecting we can heal ourselves and our earth.
Visit our website: www.sharan-india.org
Contact us: [email protected]
© 2012 SHARAN