Vegan Pumpkin Pie II
Adapted from Saladmaster’s “Complete guide to Vegetarian Cuisine” by M. Isis Israel.
For the Nutty Pie Pastry Shell
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup old fashioned oatmeal (rolled oats)
- ½ cup chopped nuts/seeds (such as almond, pecan, walnut or sunflower seeds)
- ¼ or less tsp unrefined salt
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- 3 tbsp date paste
- 1-2 tbsp water (optional)
Blend all the dry ingredients together. Blend the coconut butter and sweetener separately. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture and pour in the wet mixture. Stir minimally with a fork and add water if required. Do not over mix! Grease a 9’’ pie plate with coconut butter and press the dough evenly over it. Freeze, or use in the following pie recipe.
For the Tofu Pumpkin Pie
- 1½ cups pureed pumpkin
- ½ cup date paste
- 1½ cups soft tofu, processed in a blender until smooth
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground dry ginger or nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves or allspice
- ½ tsp unrefined salt
- 1 pc 9″ unbaked nutty pie pastry shell
Preheat the oven to 375 ºF (180 °C). Blend the pumpkin, date paste, salt, spices and tofu and pour into the pie pastry shell. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool for 1-2 hours.