Varagu with Vegetables
- 1 cup unpolished varagu (kodo millet – any other millet can be used), soaked in water for 8 -10 hours
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- 1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
- ½ tsp cumin (jeera) powder
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- ½ cup cubed carrots
- ½ cup chopped beans
- ½ tsp ginger chilli paste
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Juice of ¼ lime
Drain and rinse the varagu and let it boil in 2 cups of water. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Cover and cook. When the water begins to disappear, add the vegetables, chickpeas, a bit more water and cook until the vegetables are cooked and the varagu is light and fluffy. Stir in the ginger-chilli paste, coconut and coriander. Serve with a dash of lime juice.
Note – The picture has little millet and not varagu.