Soya with Peas and Gravy
- 1 cup dry soya chunks or ½ cup soya flakes
- 1 cup peas
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch piece peeled ginger
- paste of 1/3 cup raw cashews soaked in water for about 1 hour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala (or less if this is very spicy)
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 cloves cardamom
- 3 tbsp cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- salt to taste
Soak the soya nuggets or flakes in warm water. Squeeze out the water. If the soya nuggets are large, chop them into halves. Set aside. Steam the peas and set aside.
Place the ginger, garlic, onions and poppy seeds in the grinder or food processor and grind into a paste without using water.
Heat a thick bottomed pan and fry (without oil) the onion, garlic ginger paste on a low flame. When this begins to brown, add the turmeric, garam masala, whole cardamom, cloves and stir. Then add the tomatoes. Cook till the tomatoes are very soft. Add salt, peas, soya and cook for about 5 minutes, adding water as needed to make the gravy as thin as you want. Let this stand for half an hour before serving so that the soya soaks in the flavour. Heat before serving.