- 100 g roasted peanuts or peanut butter
- ¼ tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- ¼ medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1 medium-sized tomatoes, cubed
- 3¼ tbsp coconut milk (optional) / 1 tbsp finely ground fresh coconut (optional)
- ¼ tsp unrefined salt
- 2 tbsp (or more to taste) date paste
- 100 ml water
- 1½ tbsp (or more to taste) lemon juice
Dry roast the fenugreek seeds in a frying pan and then add a little water and the onion. “Fry” the onion, adding a little more water as required, until browned. Add the asafoetida and chilli powder and continue to “fry” for a couple of minutes. Now add the tomatoes, coconut milk, salt, date paste and then add 500 ml water. Stir this well and bring to a boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Grind the roasted peanuts and add to the sauce. (You do not need to grind if using peanut butter). Mix well for one minute and you are done.
Pour this sauce over steamed vegetables and wholegrain rice.