Saffron Brown Rice with Vegetables & Soya Nuggets
- 2 cups whole brown rice/ whole basmati rice, rinsed and soaked for 2 hours
- ½ cup soya nuggets
- 8 cups water
- 1½ tsp unrefined salt
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 1” pc cinnamon
- 5-6 cloves
- ½ tsp (about 20 threads) saffron
- ½ cup chopped and steamed French beans
- ½ cup green peas, steamed
- ½ cup grated unpeeled carrots
- 1 tsp black pepper (kali mirch) powder
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves, for the garnish
- 3-4 lemon slices, for the garnish
Drain the water and keep soaked brown rice aside. In a pan, take one cup soya nuggets, add 4 cups water with a pinch of salt and bring it to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Drain out the water. Rinse soya nuggets 2-3 times in fresh water. Lightly squeeze out excess water.
In a separate pan, add chopped onions, bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cloves. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add soaked brown rice with 4 cups of water and add saffron threads. Cover the pan and cook until the rice is fluffy. You may have to add extra water until the rice is cooked.
Add French beans, green peas and carrot to the cooked rice. Add boiled nuggets and mix well. Add black pepper powder and remaining salt and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and lemon slices. Serve hot.