Ridge Gourd Chutney (Thurai)
- 200 g ridge gourd (thurai – medium & tender)
- 5 green chillies
- 50 g coconut flakes
- 100 g (6 – 7 tbsp) finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- A small lemon-sized ball of tamarind
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped into large chunks
- 8 small cloves garlic
- 1 small piece ginger
- 2 tbsp roasted Bengal gram (daliya)
- Unrefined salt to taste
- 2 sprigs curry leaves
- 1½ tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 1 tsp mustard (rai) seeds
- 1 tsp asafoetida (hing)
Peel and discard the sharp edges of the ridge gourd skin (only the sharp edges – the rest of the peel remains). Chop the gourd into small, uniform bits.
Heat a kadhai and sauté the ridge gourd until it becomes tender. Cool and then combine and grind all the chutney ingredients together, to a coarse chutney consistency.
Roast ingredients for tempering and pour over the chutney.