Raita With A Difference
- 1 cup peanut curd
- 1 cup bottle gourd, grated (any other vegetable like pumpkin, brinjal, other gourds or cucumber can be used, cucumber need not be steamed)
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green chili, deseeded and chopped
- 4 or 5 curry leaves, crushed
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp ginger, chopped fine
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
Steam the grated bottle gourd for 3 minutes.
Mix together the peanut curd, steamed gourd, chopped onions and grated coconut. The consistency should be like a thick batter but easy flowing. If it is too thick, add 1- 2 tsp of water.
Heat a pan and roast the mustard seeds. When the seeds splutter, add ginger and green chili and ‘fry’ for 1 minute. Then add the curry leaves and coriander leaves. Stir quickly and remove from the fire. Add this to the curd – gourd mixture. Finally add salt (rock salt can be used) and mix well.
‘Raita with a Difference’ is ready to be served.