Orange Peel Kuzhambu
This recipe was contributed by P.V. Narayanamoorthy.
- Peels of 3 oranges, with the inner white pith scraped out
- 1 lemon sized ball of tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water for 1 hour
- 1 tsp mustard (rai) seeds
- ⅛ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
- 1½ tsp split pigeon peas (toor dal)
- 1½ tsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 1½ tsp split chickpeas (chana dal)
- Unrefined salt to taste
- 2 tbsp sambar powder
- ½ cup water
- 4 tsp date paste
Chop the orange peel into small pieces. Extract tamarind juice and keep aside.
In a kadai (wok shaped pan), roast mustard seeds until they sputter. Add hing, broken chilli, fenugreek seeds and dals. When the dals turn golden brown, add chopped orange peels and roast well. Add tamarind extract, salt and sambar powder. Add ½ cup water if needed. Bring to a boil and cook for a further 10 minutes, until fragrant. Add date paste and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Serve with red/ brown/black rice or millets.
Also try with Indian breads. Enjoy this very healthy dish.