Methi Palak Sweet Potato Sabzi
Photo by Palak Jain
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cups chopped fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 1 cup steamed cubed sweet potato
- 6 tbsp water
- Unrefined salt to taste
- 1 tbsp cumin (jeera) seeds
- ½ cup pureed onion
- ½ cup pureed tomato
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic-green chilli paste
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander-cumin (dhania-jeera) powder
- ¾ tsp red chilli powder
- ¾ tsp turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp crushed kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
On low heat, cook spinach and fenugreek leaves with a pinch of salt in 4 tablespoons of water, until wilted. Let it cool. Puree and keep aside.
Heat a pan and dry roast cumin seeds for a minute. Add pureed onion and 2 tablespoons of water and cook on medium heat, till the onion turns a light brown. Add pureed tomatoes, ginger-garlic-chilli paste and cook for about 3 minutes. Now, add powdered masala and simmer for about 3-5 minutes. To the mixture, add pureed spinach-fenugreek leaves, kasuri methi and 1 cup soy milk and allow to simmer until you obtain a medium-thick gravy.
Add steamed cubed sweet potato and allow to simmer in the gravy for about 5 minutes. Add salt to taste. Garnish with coriander leaves.