Photo by Palak Jain
- 150 g pink lentils (masoor dal)
- 3 medium-sized carrots, grated
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 100 g celery
- 1 tbsp cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 350 ml water
- Unrefined salt to taste
- Chopped parsley to taste
- Chopped basil to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
Heat a pot and add onions and carrots and cook for a while. Add the spices and the garlic. Add 350 ml water and bring to a boil. Add the lentils. Once they are cooked, add salt to taste. Add parsley and basil.
Allow to cool and become solid. With a hand blender, mix and slowly add the lime juice. Add in some water if needed to make a smooth paste. This can be eaten directly as a mousse or as a bread spread.