Photo by Vinita Punjabi
- 2-3 cups tender raw jackfruit, cut into cubes of about 1″
- 2 tbsp whole coriander (dhania) seeds
- Dry red chillies to taste
- ½ cup grated fresh coconut
- 1½ cups split pigeon peas (tuvar dal)
- ½ cup chickpeas (brown or white – desi chana or kabuli chana), soaked overnight
- Unrefined salt to taste
- Tamarind paste – made from a small lime-sized ball of tamarind soaked in water and paste extracted, or to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
Roast coriander seeds and red chillies. Add coconut and grind this mixture well. Keep aside.
Pressure cook the tuvar dal and chickpeas separately. Mix them and add more water to obtain the consistency of sambar (like a thick stew). Add jackfruit and cook until the jackfruit is tender. Now, add the ground mixture, salt and tamarind. Cook for a few minutes. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.