Italian Style Tofu Steaks
- 400 g tofu, cut into four slabs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 loosely filled cup of chopped fresh basil + 8 whole leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Unrefined salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 4 tbsp water (or more if required)
- 4 tbsp vegan boursin cheese
- 4 pieces crusty whole wheat garlic bread (optional)
Dry ‘fry’ the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to stir well for one minute. Then, add the tomatoes, salt, pepper and herbs (not including the 8 whole leaves of basil). Allow this to simmer, covered, on low heat.
Now in a frying pan, heat the tamari with twice the quantity of water and add the tofu. Cook each side for four minutes on high heat. If the pan becomes dry, add some more water.
To serve, place the tofu steaks on 4 serving dishes and pour the tomato sauce equally over the steaks. Lay two of the whole basil leaves on top of each steak. Carefully place one tablespoon of the cheese on top of the basil and serve with crusty garlic bread on the side (optional).
For the garlic bread, take four pieces of good quality crusty style bread such as baguette and toast. Now rub over the four pieces with a clove of garlic and serve.