- 1/4 kg whole brown basmati rice, soaked for 8-10 hrs
- 1 tsp whole masala (cloves, cinnamon, elaichi)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 litre water
- 1/2 cup soya chunks
- 1/2 kg onions, julienned
- 2 tsp saffron, soaked in any plant based milk
- 1 cup plant based yoghurt, whisked
- 1 bunch mint, finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger & garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- red chili powder to taste
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
Boil water, add whole masala, add rice, salt. Cook rice till almost done.
Soak, drain and squeeze soya chunks. Combine marinade ingredients and marinate the soya chunks in this for 1 hour. In a skillet ‘fry’ the onions. Add the marinated mixture, saute for 7-10 mins. Check seasoning.
Layer a vessel with curry, then with rice, sprinkle with saffron milk. Repeat the layers as required in the same vessel and place in baking tray cover with aluminium foil, bake. Serve hot.