The traditional Gujrati home- made savoury cake which is very nutritious.
- 1/2 cup whole tuvar (arhar) dal
- 1/2 cup whole urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1/2 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 3 cups brown/red rice
- 3/4 cup grated bottle gourd (doodhi / carrot or any vegetable of your choice)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dry dates powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ginger-green chili paste
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds (til)
- 1 tsp magaj tari (water melon seeds)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
Mix whole tuvar, urad and chana dals. Wash and soak overnight. Soak brown rice overnight. Next day, drain and grind the pulses mix. Drain and grind the rice separately. Mix both these batters well. Keep it aside for fermentation overnight. Add ginger-chili paste and turmeric. Add lemon juice (optional), dry dates powder and grated lauki (or any veggie of your choice.)Prepare dry tadka of black til, magaj tari, asafoetida and curry leaves.
Prepare the baking tray and sprinkle the dry tadka on it. Pour and spread the batter. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150 degrees C for 30-35 minutes or till the crust is golden brown. Garnish with coriander and serve.