- 1 cup cooked split pigeon peas (toor dal) or any other lentils
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 cup water
- Unrefined salt to taste
- Juice from ½ a lime
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves, for the garnish
Heat a pan. Add the mustard and cumin seeds and wait for them to sputter and crackle. Add the tomatoes, green chilli and cook for a bit. Add dal, turmeric powder and some water and bring to a boil. Add salt and garnish with chopped coriander and lime juice.
Variation: You could avoid tomatoes. Add other flavours like ginger, garlic, fenugreek seeds, etc., as per taste.