Smoky Dal Makhani
- 100 gm whole red kidney Beans
- 200 gm whole udad dal
- Soak both separately overnight.
- 1 inch piece of ginger – chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic – chopped
- 1 onion – medium sized – chopped finely.
- 2 tomatoes sized – Pureed.
- Dry red chillies (Kashmiri) – 5-6 nos. – soaked in warm water and ground into a paste.
- 15 gm cumin seeds – dry roasted and powdered.
- 5 gm of garam masala powder
- Salt – To taste
- 1 tsp oil – 1 tsp + whole garam masala – for the smoke.**(See below)
Cook the red kidney beans till it is partially cooked. Add soaked whole Urad dal and continue to cook till it is completely cooked.
When it is nearly done add the onion, ginger and garlic in a pot and roast it till it is browned, add spices and chilli paste and continue roasting.
Add the tomatoes and cook till most of the water evaporates and you have a thick paste.
Add the cooked lentils to this paste. Add salt to taste and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure to keep stirring constantly so that the dal does not stick to the bottom and burn as it will be the consistency of a thick gravy now. Add a little water to adjust consistency if needed.
Put a piece of live charcoal in a metal bowl and place in the dal. Put a teaspoon of dry spices mixed with oil over the coal and close the lid tightly.
Shut off the gas and let the dal stand for about 15 minutes. The spices will add an aromatic smoky flavour to the dal.
Please note: This recipe is suitable for diabetics since the oil does not enter the food, only gives a smoky flavour!
Note– *For those reversing diabetes, oil is not recommended. However, as the oil in this recipe is not added to the food but only to give a smoky flavor, this is fine.