Cucumber Summer Rolls with Ginger Peanut Sauce
This recipe was demonstrated by Lisa Pitman during her Eating without Heating demos in India.
For the Rolls
- 8 leaves of lettuce (any variety with soft leaves, e.g. butterhead)
- 1 cup unpeeled and julienned cucumber
- ½ cup unpeeled and julienned carrot
- ½ cup unpeeled and julienned beetroot
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 radish, thinly sliced, to garnish – optional
For the Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup water
- 1 kaffir lime leaf
- ½ cup almond butter/peanut butter
- 1 soft date, pitted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced unpeeled ginger
Arrange lettuce leaves on a flat surface. Evenly distribute cucumber, carrot, beet and fresh herbs among the 8 leaves. Roll up the lettuce leaves. Let them rest seam side down. Serve with dipping sauce on the side. You may include the optional thinly sliced radish in the rolls or serve as a garnish on the platter.
For the dipping sauce – In a blender, blend all the ingredients together to a smooth sauce. Serve with the cucumber rolls.