Creamy Bottlegourd Basil Soup
This recipe was contributed by Dr Rashmi Menon
- 2 cups unpeeled bottle gourd (dudhi)
- 10 -12 basil leaves
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ medium sized onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
- ½ tsp black pepper powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp thick coconut milk
Shred the dudhi with the skin. Steam for 4-5 minutes till soft. Blend in a mixer with the basil leaves, onion, pepper and the garlic cloves.
In a saucepan, pour the mixture, add a cup of water and salt as per taste. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with coriander. You can also use thick coconut milk to garnish and add a distinct flavour.