Chilla or Pudlas or Pesarattu
- 1 cup whole green gram (sabut moong) or any other lentil or beans, soaked for 8-10 hours
- ½ – ¼ tsp ginger-green chilli paste
- ½ -1 cup water
- 1 tsp unrefined salt
Drain, rinse and grind moong or other lentil to a fine paste with water as required (it will depend on the lentil or bean used). Add ginger-green chilli paste and salt and mix well. Transfer to a bowl. There is no need to ferment the batter. Heat a tawa (pancake griddle), spread a ladleful of batter into a round chilla (like a small crepe), cover and cook until the underside is a light golden colour. Turn it over and cook the other side until it is equally done. Serve hot.
- Mix grated vegetables of your choice in the batter.
- Make dhoklas with the same batter.
- Stuff the chillas with mixed cooked or grated vegetables like peas, French beans, carrots, beetroot, broccoli, potatoes or corn.