Carrot Beetroot Kanji
- 2 carrots, cut into batonnets (½” x ½” x 2”)
- 1 small beetroot, cut into batonnets
- 2 amlas (Indian gooseberry) (optional), chopped
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground or powdered mustard seeds (black mustard seeds or any will work)
- 1 tsp black salt (kala namak)
- 7-8 cups water
In a pitcher or jar with a lid, add all of the ingredients and mix well. Keep the pitcher covered and secured with a lid in the sun for 3-5 days, stirring at least once or twice daily. Can also be fermented in a warm dry place on the counter top. Once fermented, store kanji in the refrigerator. The liquid is the kanji. Serve chilled. Mix before serving. The pickled carrots, beets and amla can be eaten.
This kanji may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Consume in small amounts each time as the kanji is high in salt.