Butter Beans Salad
- 1 cup dry large flat beans (butter beans / lima beans / vaal – either white or red and white. The red and white ones are best for this if you can find them)
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp unrefined salt (or to taste)
- Lemon juice to taste
- 2 tbsp sliced olives (black or green)
Soak the beans overnight in double the quantity of water. Drain and cook until tender in 2-3 cups of water, or cook in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles in 2-3 cups of water, or until tender. Drain & allow to cool.
Once the beans are cooled, mix with the other ingredients and refrigerate for an hour (to allow the flavours to infuse), before serving. Serve.