Basic Gravy Paste
- 1/2 cup raw cashew nuts, soaked in about 1 cup of water for about half an hour
- 1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece unpeeled ginger
- 1 or more green chilies, seeded (optional)
- 1 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
Drain the cashews. Place cashews in a blender and grind them into a fairly smooth paste. Add a little water if needed to make cashews into a paste.
Add onion, garlic, ginger, chillies and poppy seeds (if using) in a food processor or blender. Process into a coarse paste or mince them.
Tip: This can be kept ready in the freezer for quick meals. Cashew paste and the paste with all the other ingredients can also be stored separately and mixed as desired.