Almond Milk Thandai
Almonds are high in protein and being a plant food, they contain no cholesterol. Almonds also have vitamin E, which is considered a powerful antioxidant with cancer-fighting qualities. They are also high in magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, manganese, and trace amounts of the B vitamins. Almonds are higher in calcium and in fiber than any other nut. Unblanched almonds contain nearly double the fiber than blanched and are very low in saturated fat. Almond milk is a milky drink made from ground almonds. Unlike animal milk, almond milk contains no cholesterol or lactose and can be used as a substitute for animal milk in many recipes.
- 10-20 almonds soaked overnight or substitute 10 almonds with a heaped tbsp of sesame or watermelon, cucumber or melon seeds.
- 2 dates (soaked, if hard) to taste
- elaichi powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- saffron strands (optional)
- few pistas chopped for garnish (optional)
Add the almonds and seeds into a blender with a little water and blend till you get a thick paste. Put in the deseeded dates and elaichi powder. Add ice, if required, and blend again. Garnish with a little freshly ground pepper and saffron if using. Cool and serve.