3 Bean Chili
This soup makes a complete hearty meal.
- 400 g cooked kidney beans (rajma) (made from about 150 g dried beans)
- 400 g cooked chickpeas (kabuli chane) (made from about 150 g dried chickpeas)
- 400 g cooked whole black gram (sabut urad) (made from about 150 g dried gram)
- 2 green bell peppers (green capsicums), chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- ½ a medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cumin (jeera) powder
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp unrefined salt
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 750 g tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 L water
- 400 g corn kernels
Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, bay leaves, cumin powder, oregano and salt. Mix and stir until the onion is tender, then add celery, green bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic and green chillies. When the vegetables are heated through, reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chilli powder and pepper powder and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add kidney beans, chickpeas, and black gram and mix well. Add 1 L water and bring the mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes. Add corn, and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
The consistency of this soup is supposed to be very thick. Add more water if you want a thinner soup. Serve piping hot.